Monday, August 20, 2007

Depression

Often times people with schizophrenia go through periods of depression. I have been depressed and discouraged all day. The reason being that I am laid off and haven't worked in nine months. I've been so distraught I haven't been able to do anything at all today. I haven't been able to concentrate on my reading, my writing, and I haven't done much housework today.

But I have made a decision. Even if I never work again I do not have to be depressed or discouraged. I can still live a life of meaning, purpose, and be a productive member of society. I have my wife as my best friend in the world. I can get meaning out of life in my marriage. As time goes on our love for each other grows more and more. We become closer and closer with each other. Even if I never work again I will never be alone in life because I have Kim for companionship.

Outside my marriage I can still have meaning, purpose, and be a productive member of society. I can devote my life to my writing. I can continue writing for my blogs. I have a few of them on the net. I can use my writing skills to help my fellow consumers, family members of consumers, and educate the general public about schizophrenia to help remove some of the stigma against us consumers.

I am the editor of the Schizophrenia Newsletter put out by the local Kentville Chapter of the Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia. I will continue working on our newsletter. We put it out three times a year.

I can also go to the Acadia University Library to do research there on various topics. I will use this research for writing essays, and articles for my blogs and newsletter.

If I never work again there is still hope that I can live a life of meaning, purpose, and be a productive member of society.

No comments: