Monday, November 12, 2007

What Does Recovery Mean to Me?

When I was sick I was always suffering from something. I used to go back and forth between positive and negative symptoms.

I used to suffer from both visual and auditory hallucinations. I used to hear voices telling me to kill myself. I used to see transparent animals move around and change shapes on the ceiling.

I spent all my time just pacing the floor, smoking, and drinking coffee. I never sat down any longer than five minutes and I never hardly sat down at all. The reason for this was the side effects of my medication.

There were also times when I abused drugs and alcohol. I was stoned and drunk from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. As a result of this my hallucinations were more severe than they were when I wasn't using.

I also used to suffer from delusions. I thought that God and Satan were living inside me battling for control of my mind. Either to do good or to do evil. I also thought that I was possessed by a legion of demons. There were times that I believed that I had to die because I was an evil and wicked person. As a result of this I was suicidal and did attempt suicide here and there.

As a result of negative symptoms I didn't do much concerning activities. I only got a shower every two or three weeks. When I tried to read I didn't even last five minutes and I couldn't remember one word that I read.

I wasn't able to cook any meals. When I attempted to do housework I had to stop after five minutes. When Dad wanted me to take wood in I didn't last any longer than five minutes for this activity either. I couldn't even concentrate to watch movies. When I was able to watch a movie I had to pace the floor back and forth while I watched it. I just couldn't sit still.

I was also paranoid quite often. I used to think that people were talking about me. I could hear their thoughts and words inside my mind. Their thoughts used to tell me disturbing things. I also thought that they could read my thoughts thus knowing all my evil secrets I kept in my mind.

Many times when I went out into public like to a restaurant to have coffee I couldn't stay. I had to leave because of my paranoia. Because of this I didn't go out much and just stayed home. But I did have a couple of friends that used to visit me at home. I also used to visit them too. The only people I had contact with was my family, and the few friends that I had.

So: What does recovery mean to me? Overcoming all of these experiences. There is no cure for schizophrenia but recovery is still truly possible. I am presently recovering from both my schizophrenia and my addiction problem.

How am I recovering? First of all my positive symptoms are under control as a result of my medication. I no longer suffer from both visual and auditory hallucinations. I no longer suffer from delusions that defy reason.

I also no longer suffer from negative symptoms. My wife and I cook meals together. We do laundry together. We do housework together. I spend many hours writing for my blogs and the schizophrenia newsletter that I have started. I worked full time at a Candle Factory for five years. At the present moment I have been laid off from that job for a year now. But I still work when given the opportunity. I also spend a fair amount of time reading. I can now concentrate to read for long periods of time. I no longer have to pace the floor. I can sit and relax for long periods of time. I also have a real good social life. I go out to different get together's to socialize with others. I have many friends in my life. I also have a wonderful relationship with my wife. We love each other more than words can describe. She is my companion and my best friend in this world. When I was sick I wasn't able to maintain an intimate relationship with the opposite sex. As a result I didn't have that many girlfriends in my life. I was very lonely because of this. But I am not lonely now because I have my wife.

This is what recovery means to me. I hope that my story gives you faith, hope, and courage not to give up and continue to seek recovery from whatever mental illness and/or addiction that you may have.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Tony,

I just came across your blog, and I’m glad I did! I found this post to be very inspiring. After reading about the obstacles you had to overcome, it is encouraging to see the satisfying, meaningful life you have made for yourself.

I too have schizophrenia. I can relate to some of the symptoms you experienced. Fortunately I am on a medication that has removed the positive symptoms, and helps with the negative ones. I am still in the process of building a new, fulfilling life for myself, and it is great to read the story of someone who has been through it all and succeeded!

My best wishes to you in your continued recovery.

Mike

I’d like to add a link to your page on my blog, please let me know if that is a problem.

Tony said...

Hello Mike
I'm glad to hear that you also are doing well. I'm happy when other consumers are doing well too. I'm glad that my posting was inspiring to you. I have no problem with you adding a link to my page on your blog.

May you be blessed with continual recovery.

Andrew said...

Tony,

I could so relate to what you wrote that I almost felt you were writing about me! Thank you so much for sharing this. I, too, paced the floor constantly, and I also suffered from severe anxiety attacks. I look forward to reading more and hearing how you are recovering! YOU GIVE ME HOPE!

Sincerely,
Jonathon Andrew

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I too just came across your blog. I have Schizo-Affective disorder and I suffer from every. single. one of the negative symptoms that you listed.

Even down to not showering very often.

I hope someday to be in remission too. It's nice to know others who are/have gone through similar things. I feel so alone sometimes surrounded by people who don't understand me.

Even when I'm around a lot of people I still feel isolated and alone so the internet has been critical in keeping me in touch with the outside world.

May I link to you as well?

Tony said...

Hello James

I'm glad that my posting was encouraging for you. Just have faith, hope, and courage. Things will get better.

Yes you may link to my blog.

Tony