Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Healthy Lifestyle

My wife and I have made the conscious decision to change our lifestyle.  We have started our new life by eating healthy.  At one time we used a frying pan and only one pot everyday.  I didn't realize we had so many pots.  We no longer fry our food.  We bake our meat instead of frying it.  The only meat we try to eat is fish, chicken, and turkey.  We have also started eating more veggies.  When we have a meal half our plate is veggies, 1/4 is meat, and the other 1/4 is potatoes or rice.

We are making a conscious effort to read the labels before we buy something.  At the present moment we are trying to cut out the fat, sugar, and sodium.  We eat a lot of wraps.  We put lettuce, green and red peppers. tomatoes, cucumbers, and for meat chicken.  We use tortilla wraps to put it in.  Today we made a home made veggie pizza.  It was delicious.  

I am discovering that healthy food tastes a lot better than the alternative.  Especially if you cook it right.  It can be very tasty.

The next phase in our healthy lifestyle is to incorporate physical activity into our daily routine.  Up to this point in our lives we haven't been engaging in much physical activity.  I have started doing research on physical fitness and nutrition.  One thing we are doing is not trying to do everything all at once.  We are just taking our time and easing into everything.  I believe if we try to do too much all at once we will revert back to our old ways.  A little bit at a time is my philosophy.

Another thing that I am personally trying to change in my life is my smoking habits.  Kim doesn't smoke but I do.  I have started a cutting back program today.  I am going to roll 40 cigarettes a day and make those 40 cigarettes last the whole day.  I will do this for a couple of weeks.  Then I will gradually cut back on how many I smoke a day.  My objective is to eventually cut back enough to the point where I can just stop smoking.  Quitting all at once is an impossibility.  Believe me I have tried so many times I cannot count.  It just doesn't work for me.

Another lifestyle change I need to make is to cut down on my caffeine intake.  I drink approximately three or four pots or more a day.  That is a lot of caffeine.  I will do this gradually as well.

I am feeling very excited about our decision and about our new healthy lifestyle.  I am feeling better physically, and psychologically.  Both of us feel like we are new people.  As time goes on we will make more and more healthy choices in our lives and maybe we might just get a few extra years out of it.  Most of all we are living a healthy lifestyle just because it makes us feel good, makes life more meaningful, and it just makes us feel a lot happier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The coffee is the hardest change to make! I love my coffee. The newest studies here suggest 3 cups a day cuts your risk of diabetes in half without raising your BP. You can also go with green or black tea. Fabulous antioxidant levels in there.
Much luck