Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Schizophrenia and Faith

The True and Living God created this vast boundless universe. He also created this earth with all the plant life and animal life. He also created mankind.

I personally believe that it is possible to have a personal relationship, fellowship, and communion with the Great God of Creation. We can do this through the avenue of faith. It is because of my faith and relationship with God that I have survived schizophrenia and addiction. I have literally been to hell and back. It is because of God's love, compassion, grace, and mercy that I am even alive. According to the laws of science I should be dead a hundred times over. Because of all the suicide attempts and all the accidental drug and alcohol overdoses I should not be alive.

During all that pain, suffering, torture, and torment my faith in God is what got me through it all. I carried it all to God and left it with Him. I literally poured out my heart to God with tears in my eyes. I also had faith in God that some day things would improve and get better. I had the dream that some day I will get well and become a productive member of society. I dreamed about going to school and working again some day. By my faith in God I kept my dreams alive.

Then at the appointed time God made my dreams come true. I went to the Beacon Unit at the Rehab in Waterville. The Doctor there found the right medication that actually worked. While there I attended the Work Center. I took upgrading, woodworking, job development, and personal development. By doing that I fulfilled my dream of going to school.

A few months after graduating from the Work Center I landed a full time job at a candle factory. I worked there full time for five years. After the five years I got laid off. Since then I have landed a job putting flyers together. I also have two writing jobs. I write for the Schizophrenia Newsletter published by the Kentville Chapter of the Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia. I also write for the Mental Health Perspective Newsletter published by the Kings County Chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association.

There is one more thing that I can't forget to mention. While living at the rehab I met my present wife. We will be married for seven years on September 1st. We are going to go to Moncton to celebrate our anniversary. We are going to eat out at the Swiss Chalet and we are going X-mas shopping.

If it was not for my living faith in the Living God I would not be where I am right now in my life. I would either still be living in my own hellish psychotic world completely cut off from reality or I would be in the grave right now.

It is my faith in God that brought me through all the pain, suffering, torture, and torment unto the other side of the light. Before I lived in total darkness but now I am living in brightest light possible. The light couldn't get any brighter.

I am very grateful and thankful to God for all that He has done for me. It's all because of God that I am where I am at in life right now. I cannot express in words just how grateful and thankful that I am.

I would like to end by saying if you are a consumer suffering from any form of mental illness take courage and put your faith in the True and Living God and He will in His love, compassion, grace, and mercy help you through all the pain, suffering, torture, and torment and bring you through the darkness into the other side of the light.

I believe that it is God the Great Physician who can bring healing to those suffering from mental illness. He will use medicine, psychology, and spirituality. Believe in God. There is hope.

No comments: