Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Whole New Outlook on Life

I have been doing research on human rights. I have been reading Canadian documents on human rights, United Nations documents, and documents by other countries. As a result of my research my whole outlook on life has changed. My philosophy has changed. I have even changed my religious beliefs as a result of my research.

My purpose in life pertaining to my relationships with my fellow man has changed. I have decided to respect the rights of others and not violate their rights in any way. I will not show discrimination towards others in thought, word, or deed. I will not show prejudice in thought, word, or deed.

It doesn't matter what their race, color, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, religion, philosophy, physical disability, mental disability, and political positions are I am to show respect, love, compassion, and honor them in life. I wish not to hurt them in any way psychologically, emotionally, or physically. I should not say or do anything that will damage their reputation with the rest of society. I am to treat all members of the human family like my own brothers and sisters and those that are older than me like mothers and fathers.

I also know that there is much stigma and discrimination towards mental health consumers. Our rights are being violated by society, the government, medical professionals, and mental health professionals. Many of our rights are not being imputed unto us as a result of that stigma and discrimination. We need to change this. We need to rise up and fight to have our rights given unto us by all of society. Discriminatory acts are carried out against us on a daily basis. We are treated like outcasts of society. In fact the pain of stigma, prejudice, and discrimination is far more painful than the mental illness itself.

I plan on doing a lot more research on human rights and also how it applies to mental health consumers. I am also going to research the law concerning mental illness and our rights. I want to develop a real good working knowledge on these topics to give me ammunition in my fight against our rights being violated by society day in and day out. I am a soldier engaged in warfare against all of society to fight for our rights to be imputed unto us, and to stamp out that stigma, discrimination, and prejudice against all mental health consumers.

I now have a new purpose in life outside my marriage and work. Fight to the end. Fight until the objective is achieved. Fight until I am put into the grave. Fight, fight, fight until we win the war. I wish to die fighting and after I am gone I want to be remembered as a great soldier fighting for our cause. To stamp out all that stigma, discrimination, and prejudice against mental health consumers.

I also hope that my fellow consumers, family and friends of consumers, and all interested parties get involved in the fight as well. The more soldiers on the battlefield the better chance of winning the war. I make an appeal to all. Rise up and fight, fight, fight.

No comments: