Sunday, December 25, 2011

New Years Resolution

2012 is coming up fast.  Today is Christmas day.  I am having a wonderful X-mas with my wife and family.  Dinner should be ready soon.  I helped prepare the veggies.  I have been reading my Guitar Player magazine Mom bought me a couple of days ago.  It has a lot of inspiring articles in it and I have picked up a few tips which brings me to my New Years Resolution.

I love music and at one time I was a professional musician playing the drums.  I have listened to a lot music over the years.  I have listened to everything.  Classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, soft rock, blues, jazz, pop, old fashioned country, modern country, classical music, and opera.  The only kind of music I will not listen to is rap.  I find the lyrics offensive.

Last X-mas I received a acoustic guitar with a pick up in it.  It's a GWL guitar.  It has a wonderful sound both as an acoustic and electric.  I must confess I haven't played it much over the last year.  A few weeks ago I started getting down to business with it and started playing a lot.  I also purchased guitar lessons which teach me how to play rhythm, lead guitar with a pic, and how to finger pick.  I also have tons of music books on different genres.  Gospel, rock, country, rhythm and blues, and jazz.

I have decided that my New Years Resolution is to learn how to play the guitar.  I want to become really good at rhythm and lead guitar.  I also want to bone up on my singing abilities and become a better singer (which at the present moment isn't very good).  I am going to spend 90% of my spare time practicing, reading up on music theory, reading guitar magazines, and buy more guitar lessons to work on.  I am always talking about my destiny.  Well, my destiny is to become a successful musician.  I love music and I love making music.  Eventually I want to get good enough to either join a band or start up my own band.  I do have to decide what genre I want to learn to play.  I like so many different kinds of music I am having trouble deciding just what genre I do want to learn to play.  At the present moment I know several gospel songs, a few rock songs, and a Christmas song.  I will have a problem deciding because of my OCD but I will overcome this and make a decision.  Once my decision is made I will definitely get down to business.

This is my New Years Resolution and I will stick to it come hell or high water, despite my OCD.  I will not let myself change my mind and get side tracked.  I am going to become a successful musician.  Period.

No comments: