Sunday, June 14, 2009

What Expert Do We Believe?

I personally do a lot of research. I seek out knowledge on different topics. Mental illness, addiction, alcoholism, Christianity and other topics as well. I find that it doesn't matter what subject I am researching I find that for every expert that says one thing there is another expert that says the complete opposite. Both experts give solid, dependable, and reliable evidence to back up what they are saying. So, here you have it, two experts giving solid evidence to back up what they are saying, which is the complete opposite of one another. Two opposing concepts which both parties are saying are the facts and these facts are the ultimate truth. How can you have two opposing truths? Both cannot be right. One of them must be wrong.

The question of the matter is: Which expert do we believe? Both give good solid, dependable, reliable evidence to back up what they are proclaiming. How do we determine which expert is correct? Which expert is presenting the truth unto us? Which expert is totally wrong and giving us false information? Both experts cannot be right. One of them must be wrong. These are questions in my own mind that I do not know the answer to. What personal guidelines should I use in determining what position I should take concerning the matter at hand? How do I come to a decision on which position I should believe? Anyone is capable of being subjective. How do I objectively determine which concept is the correct one to believe? How do I know that I am not being subjective but being objective in my examination of the two opposing concepts I am considering? Objectivity is the best way to go. How do we figure out how to be totally objective? How do we determine that we are being objective? We live in such a subjective world is it even possible to be objective? Can a person be totally objective in examining two opposing concepts? Some people like to think that they are being objective but in reality they are more subjective than the rest of their fellows.

These are important questions that we need to ask ourselves. Are there any solid, dependable, reliable answers to these questions? Can we train ourselves to be objective instead of subjective? Is that truly possible? If any of my readers have any answers to these questions please leave your comments on this blog entry. I would greatly appreciate it.

No comments: