Sunday, June 21, 2009

What is Recovery All About?

Just what is recovery all about? For me recovery is about living life to the fullest. Enjoying life and having fun. It is also about being successful at achieving my goals and objectives in life. Sometimes I live on the spur of the moment but I also have to have everyday all planned out what I am going to do that day. There is a saying: "if you fail to plan then you plan to fail." Sometimes though I just go with the flow and just do whatever happens to pop up in life. Either way I do my best just to have fun. That's what life is all about. Having a ball.

When I go to work I simply enjoy what I am doing. I love working. There was a time when I wasn't able to work. For me now working is just something I do to have fun yet make money at the same time. I would only do a job that I enjoy doing. I would never keep a job that I didn't like. We spend a great portion of our time working and I would not spend that time living in misery doing something that I hated. I presently hold down four part time jobs. Two are writing jobs, one is putting flyers together, and the other is working the store in Canning.

I also have fun writing for all my blogs and web sites. I love the very act of writing. I enjoy putting down my thoughts on paper (now the computer). I love sharing my knowledge with others. I enjoy sharing my experience, strength, and hope with others. One of the purposes for my writing is helping my fellow man. I like to write about things that would be helpful to others to help them in their own path in life.

I also enjoy helping Kim with the house chores and cooking. We both love cooking and often we cook together. Kim and I do a lot of baking as well. Often we make fancy and special meals. We like variety in our diet and we have a knack turning plain meals into something special. We both love food and we both enjoy eating.

Another thing that we love to do together is fishing. We just started fishing last summer. Before that I think the last time I went fishing was when I was around 19 years old. When we go fishing both of us just have a ball. Fishing is just plain fun. It's even funner when we catch something. Kim and I both love eating fish. That is one our main staples in life. We eat all kinds of fish. Trout, salmon, catfish, perch, bass, Arctic char, halibut, haddock, sole, and many others.

When we have the car we love to travel. We go to Digby to visit Kim's Aunt Marie. Of course we eat out along the way. Like I said earlier we love food and we love eating good food. Last year we went to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Truro is another destination when we travel. We try to travel as much as possible.

Another thing is that we like to go to the festivities happening in our area. We go to rock concerts, fire works, we eat out in fancy restaurants as much as possible. Sometimes we go to the parade at Apple Blossom. We go to the zoo when we have the opportunity. There is one close by to where we live. While we travel Kim loves to go the stores and shop. We simply have fun.

I just love playing computer games. My favorite games are war games. One game I have I get to run tanks, half-tracks, warplanes, infantry men, battle ships, anti-aircraft guns, big shore guns to sink big warships and other war vehicles as well. I must confess that I am not very good at playing war games but I still have a ball playing them. Although I am getting better and better at it the more I play.

Doing research is another passion I have in life. I spend a lot of my spare time doing this. I read books and get a lot of information off of the net. I do research on different types of mental illness, addiction, alcoholism, Christianity, and sometimes philosophy. Sometimes I do research on Church History and other types of history. I even do some research on science. Pure science that is. I don't believe in evolution. As far as I am concerned when science teaches evolution that is what the Bible calls, "science falsely so called."

Another thing Kim and I love is music. We have our music on from the time we wake up until we go to bed. I listen to online radio stations as I do my research and writing. When it comes to music I am quite eclectic. I love hard rock, soft rock, rhythm and blues, jazz, country, folk music, celtic music, classical music, opera, Christmas music, and gospel music. The only music I do not like is rap. The lyrics are just to disgusting. I love the music though. I have a belief that "music is good for the soul." Music gives me pleasure in life.

One thing that we really love to do is entertain. We are always having people over for meals and socialization. Parties are a common thing around here. Sometimes up to 20 people fill up our house when we are throwing a party. As far as I am concerned there is nothing more pleasurable that socializing around the table eating a good meal. I get much satisfaction out of this activity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Another important part of my life is Kim. Without her I would be like a little lost sheep in the wilderness. She is my lover, companion, and best friend. We are also having a wonderful relationship together. We love each other very much and we both prove it by the way we treat each other. I treat her like a queen and she treats me like a king. We very seldom get into arguments or fights. We show much respect towards each other. Another thing is that neither one of us are jealous. I trust her and she trusts me. There is nothing to be jealous about. I am just glad that Kim and I have found each other. I am so grateful and thankful that I cannot put it into words.

Overall, I love life, I love being alive, and I do my best to live the fullest life possible.

Good luck in your own recovery.


No comments: