Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Eye of my Understanding has Opened

I have been clean and sober for 11 years, recovering from my schizophrenia for 10 years and am presently recovering from obsessive compulsive disorder.  I personally believe that the reason for all my pain, suffering, torture, and torment was so that I can empathize with others and try to be of help.  In the past I firmly believed that the only way others can recover is to follow the same path that I have followed.  That is not true.  Recovery is a personal thing.  Everyone has to find their own methods to follow in their own personal recovery.  The eye of my understanding has been opened.  I can truly empathize with others but when I try to help people I need to help them find their own way in recovery.  My personal methods I use might not work for someone else.  I need to keep an open mind and help guide others into their own methods they use to find recovery.

My eyes have truly been opened.  Now I can be more effective in trying to help my fellow consumers, addicts, and alcoholics.  I need to research different treatment options and use those options to help others.  My way isn't the only way.  I have been living in the darkness but now the true light now shineth.  My purpose in life is to be a beacon to help light up the path for others.  I perceive myself as a lighthouse shining the light to help guide the ships into the harbor safely.

Good luck in your own recovery

No comments: