Sunday, December 5, 2010

A New Year

A new year is creeping up on us.  This is the time of year when we reflect on the last year and make new years resolutions for the next.  We set goals and objectives on we want to accomplish in this new year.

For mental health consumers we set our goals and objectives on things we want to accomplish concerning our recovery for the next year.  I firmly believe that "if we fail to plan we plan to fail."  We need a road  map to guide us though 2011.

I would to share with our readers what my plans are for 2011.

I will continue publishing the Schizophrenia newsletter published by the Kings County Chapter of the Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia and continue writing for "A Mental Health Perspective" newsletter published by the Kings County Branch of the Canadian Mental Heath Association.  I will continue my collating job with Flyer Services.

I need to decide what I want to accomplish outside my work.  One thing I would like to accomplish is to be given more opportunity to do some public speaking and share my experience, strength, and hope with others.

I also want to further advance my writing career.  I want to become a successful, paid, published, free lance writer.  Writing for magazines and newspapers.  I also would like to do more work on my blogs on the net.

I will continue working on the business plan for our business that Kim and I have started.  We are hoping to have an actual store some day.

For rest and relaxation I want to do more fly fishing this spring and summer.  I never had the opportunity do much fly fishing in the past year.

These are just some of the things I want to accomplish in 2011.

Why am I able to do all of these things?  Because I have been working on my recovery from my mental illness's, addiction, and alcoholism.  The medications I am on are working which help keep the symptoms under control and I am working hard on the psychological aspect of my recovery.

Recovery is truly possible.  If I can recover after suffering from the symptoms of my conditions for many years anyone can recover.  I have been ill for over 25 years.  I started my recovery in the year 2000 when I went to the Beacon Program which was located at the Rehab in Waterville at the time.  At the Beacon Unit they got my medication adjusted and I received psycho-social treatments while I was there.  I am grateful and thankful for what the Beacon Program has done for me.  If it wasn't for them I would not be living in recovery at the present moment.

Have faith, hope, and courage and seek recovery with all your heart you just might find it.  I did.

1 comment:

Feminist Voice with Disabilities said...

I think you're right that making plans is a good idea, and can help a person to accomplish the things that they want to do. I think it's great that you have tried hard to recover and that you're doing well now. I know my recovery from/through my mental illness has been difficult, but it gets better as time goes by and I get more periods without a lot of symptoms. It doesn't happen for everyone, and we're lucky if we find medications that do work for us. So many people are not that lucky.