Friday, December 10, 2010

A Hard Day

I smoke and am a very heavy smoker.  I smoke over two packs a day.  I have decided to quit smoking again.  I have tried many times but failed.  Today is my first day this time.  I have been up since 8:00 am this morning and it is now 9:12 pm.  I have not had a smoke all day.  I am using the patch as a quit smoking aid.  It is next to impossible for me to quit cold turkey.  I have tried that before many times and only lasted about three or four hours.

I have been on the net looking for sites with information on smoking cessation techniques.  I found the Nicotine Anonymous web site.  This organization follows the 12 steps that originated with Alcoholics Anonymous.  I follow the 12 steps to help me with my drug and alcohol addiction.  In fact on Monday December the 6th I celebrated being clean and sober for 11 years.  Kim, my wife took me out to dinner on Saturday November 27 to celebrate.

What I am about to tell you might seem outrageous, but it was easier to give up drugs and alcohol than it is to give up smoking.  I personally believe that nicotine is the most addictive substance discovered by man.  It takes much determination, motivation, and discipline to give up nicotine.  Basically it takes a miracle.  A miracle that I am not capable of performing on my own will power.  As the 12 steps state only a "Power Greater than Ourselves" can deliver us from this awful addiction.  One way He is doing it for me is with the help of the patch but that alone is not sufficient.  I am very highly addicted to nicotine both physically and psychologically.  I need everyone's help.  God's, my wife's, my friends, those in the mental health profession, information I can find on the net, and any other source that I can find to use to help me.

Today is definitely a miracle.  I have gone the whole day without a smoke.  I am only going to stay smoke free just for today.  I am not going to stay smoke free for a week, a month, or a year.  I am taking it only one day at a time.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Ashley Smith said...

Hi Tony,

Congratulations on being clean and sober 11 years!!! I think you will overcome smoking once you find something that works for you.

Take care,

Ashley