Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hobbies

For those of you that have schizophrenia it is a good thing to have hobbies. Hobbies can give a person something to do to occupy their time. A hobby that someone enjoys doing can give them meaning and purpose in life. It can give them a sense of accomplishment. Being successful at a hobby can boost someones self-esteem and give them a sense of joy and happiness, especially if the person does not work. If a person does work being occupied with a hobby can help them just relax and chill out. It can give the person a chance to just have time to themselves and just have fun without any pressure to perform for someone else (on the job for example).

I hold down three part time jobs. One at Flyer Services and two writing jobs. I really enjoy and love my work. I have hobbies to occupy my time when I am not working. I listen to music on online radio stations. Another hobby I have is writing for all my blogs and web sites. Even though two of my jobs are writing jobs I love writing so much I do it as a hobby besides my two writing jobs. There is no pressure writing for my blogs and web sites because there are no deadlines.

Another hobby I have is doing research. I do a lot of research online. I would rather study up on schizophrenia, religion, philosophy, and addiction and recovery than read a fiction novel. I also like to read up on science and medicine. At times I research other topics as well. I love to read and do research. I can spend hours and hours doing research. It gives me much joy, pleasure, and satisfaction. I like to obtain knowledge. There is a saying. Knowledge is power and I love obtaining knowledge. I seek to use my knowledge for the purpose of helping others. I love to share my knowledge with others for the purpose of helping them in some way. Knowledge is no good to a person unless they share it with someone else. There is an expression in Narcotics Anonymous: You can only keep what you have by giving it away.

Another hobby I have is cooking and baking. My wife Kim has been teaching me how to cook and bake. I just love to cook and bake. Kim and I cook and bake together as a team. We love to make fancy meals once in a while too. We have some real nice cookbooks with lots of fancy and special meals in them. We always look in our cookbooks for a special meal to cook on holidays. We also have people over for special meals quite often too. We love cooking special meals for company. As far as I am concerned there is nothing more enjoyable then socializing over a good meal.

There is something else I like to do. I like helping Kim make things for her business. Sometimes I help her make her scarfs and help her make bookmarks. I really have fun helping her with these things. I also keep track of her books and inventory. I enjoy doing that too. We are working together on her business plan for her business as well. I am having a ball helping her.

These hobbies that I have been writing about that I love to do are a part of my recovery from schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, and addiction. Hobbies are an important part of a consumers recovery from their mental illness and/or addiction. Part of recovery is being occupied with things that give a person joy, satisfaction, pleasure, and meaning and purpose in life. Without my hobbies my recovery would not be as good as it is at the present moment. My hobbies are a very important part of my personal recovery. If you would like to find more joy, satisfaction, pleasure, and meaning and purpose in life try to find a hobby that you would enjoy doing and spend some time at it. You will be surprised at the results. You will actually have some fun in life and boost up your self-esteem. Part of living life is just having a good time doing the things that you love to do. This is what works for me and I believe that it will work for you too. I just love having fun and a good time in life and I think that if you found a hobby that you enjoy doing that you too will have fun and a good time in life.

2 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

Great read!

I also have schizophrenia and enjoy learning more about the illness and writing. I also keep a personal blog that is dedicated to schizophrenia that I encourage you to visit. http://overcomingschizophrenia.blogspot.com

Ashley

Anonymous said...

Great read,

My mother has schizophrenia and I'm searching for hobbies to keep her mind busy and at ease. I hope to find something that will make her as happy as you. I enjoyed your writing. God bless you