Sunday, January 25, 2009

Living Life

What is recovery all about? Living life. Living life to the fullest. It's about happiness, peace of mind, being successful at a persons goals and objectives, being independent, and simply enjoying life. It's about living in the here and now. It's about enjoying the simple things of life as well as the big things in life. It's simply all about living.

What did I do yesterday? When I got up I got ready and took the bus downtown. I went to the drugstore and picked up my meds, picked up Kim's meds, and three bottles of pop for Kim. Because it was really cold out I took a cab home. I really enjoyed getting out and doing something.

After I got back I helped Kim with the housework. I enjoyed doing that too. I also did some things on the computer. I did some reading on the blogs I am following. I worked on my Fully Human Fully Alive blog. I just love reading and writing. I get satisfaction and pleasure out of reading and writing.

When I got up this morning I helped Kim with today's chores. We are going to have a pork roast dinner today. I will be helping Kim cook the dinner today. I have been doing things on the computer. Right now as I write I am listening to CBC Radio. I am listening to a classical music concert. I listen to a lot of online radio stations. I just love music and listening to it. When it comes to music I am eclectic. I love all types of music.

I also will be helping Kim later with making her bookmarks for her business. My wife Kim has a little business on the go. She makes homemade scarfs, and book marks. She is thinking about what else to make to sell in her business.

I plan to do some more writing today, and other things on the computer. I love computers. I love doing things on the computer. Even though I smoke I can spend a long time on the computer without stopping for a smoke. I smoke a lot. A couple of packs a day.

For me personally doing these things and enjoying them is what living is all about. Just being able to accomplish things in life and having fun doing them is what gives me meaning and purpose in life. Why are all these things important to me? There was a time in my life when I couldn't enjoy life and be successful at accomplishing things in life. I just couldn't do anything. No matter what it was that I attempted to do. I lasted five minutes and stopped. I just couldn't go any further.

Another way that I live life to the fullest is through my marriage. I am happily married. My wife and I are having a wonderful relationship together. We have been married for seven years now. My wife is my lover, companion, and my best friend. Without her I would be like a little lost sheep in the wilderness. I get much happiness and joy living with Kim and having a relationship with her on a daily basis.

I also live life to the fullest through my work. I work at Flyer Services part time. I currently hold down two writing jobs as well. I write for the Schizophrenia Newsletter published by the Kings County Chapter of the Schizophrenia Society of NS. I write for the Mental Health Perspective Newsletter. This is a newsletter on mental health in general. We cover all aspects of mental health, not just mental illness.

Just living in the here and now and enjoying what life throws my way today is what I call living life to the fullest. Even though I have schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder I can still live life to the fullest. There is hope for those with mental illness. Recovery is truly possible. I am recovering and having a ball just living life. I sincerely hope that this blog entry will be helpful to you and give you faith, hope, and courage to just carry on and keep plugging away at life and be successful. Good luck with your recovery.

No comments: