Monday, January 26, 2009

Todays Recovery

I have been recovering from my schizophrenia today. I haven't experienced any positive symptoms (hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thinking) today. I was able to overcome negative symptoms (lack of motivation, flat emotions) today. Overall I had a great day free from the symptoms of schizophrenia. I was free today just to enjoy life. For me personally recovery is just having a day full of happiness, peace of mind, and being successful at my goals and objectives for today.

I got up early, did the chores, and did some things on the computer. Around 1:00 pm my best friend Harold came over and we went out to deliver the Schizophrenia Newsletters published by the Kings County Chapter of the Schizophrenia Society of NS. We went to Wolfville and delivered some at the hospital there. We also delivered some to the Doctors office across the street from the Wolfville Hospital.

On the way back we stopped at Sobeys so I could pick up a can of tobacco. Then we went to the Evageline Club. I talked to the lady working there. I never met her before so this was the first time I encountered her. I told her my name and she recognized my name even though she never met me before. I also had the opportunity to talk to a good friend of mine whom I work with on the Mental Health Perspective Newsletter published by the Kings County Branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association. He is one of the writers. Then we drove my friend home.

After that we went to the CMHA office in Kentville. I dropped of a few newsletters. I stayed for a few minutes and chatted with the secretary. We had a good chat.

After that we went to Coldbrook to the mental health services there. We chatted with the secretary there. We dropped off a few of the newsletters. We had a wonderful chat with her. Then we went to the Pie Country Market. My friend Harold bought some pies. Then we went to the store that sells kits for making wine and beer. He had to pick up some sweetener to make some homemade wine. Then we headed for home.

When I got home I cooked supper for Kim and I. We had rice, stovetop stuffing, and pork roast. The meal was delicious. After that we did the chores up. I got a shower, rolled some smokes, and helped Kim with making her bookmarks for her business. I made a few entries in her books as well.

Later on I taked to Mom on the phone. We had a wonderful chat. Even though I am on my own I still talk to my Mom and brother everyday. We like to keep in touch with each other. Then I did a couple of things on the computer. Then I started writing this article.

Today was wonderful day. I was happy today, had peace of mind, and I had a great time with my friend Harold. I just love spending time with him. We talked about things and we carried on with each other and made each other laugh. Laughter is good for the soul.

The events of this day might not to exciting to you but it was to me. There was a time when I wouldn't be well enough to enjoy my day. There was a time when all I did was suffer torture and torment in my mind and emotions. I was psychotic a lot of the time and when I wasn't psychotic I was suffering from the negative symptoms. I didn't have much pleasure, happiness, or peace of mind in my life. It was just a living hell day in and a day out. I suffered from long term chronic mental illness for approxematly 25 years. At the present I am very thankful and grateful for being able to enjoy life, have fun in life, and just have a ball. My life couldn't get any better. Though it will get better day by day bringing nothing but joy and happiness into my life.

I just hope that this story might help you with your recovery and encourage you to keep seeking recovery. Eventually recovery will come along your way. Stick to your treatment regime. Just have faith, hope, and courage. Not all recover at the same level but many do recover. Just don't give up but keep plugging away at it. I did and now I am living a full life. I just hope that you too will live a full life. We all are fully human and fully alive.

2 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

I am glad you have a positive outlook and are recovering well enough to enjoy life.

I have a tight knit family too, I speak to my mother and sister often I think this helps with my recovery a lot.

Ashley

LuNaTiX said...

Hey ombray, I'm a fellow schizophrenic and I like reading your posts, stay strong, and stay positive like you sound in your post.