Sunday, March 8, 2009

Busy

I have been away from my blogs for a while. I have been so busy. I now hold down five part time jobs. Flyer Services, Burnt Out Solutions, CMHA, the store in Canning, and writing for the Schizophrenia Newsletter. These jobs keep me busy five days a week. The only days I have off for rest and relaxation is Saturday's and Sunday's.

I am very happy about being able to work so much. There was a time when I wasn't able to work. In fact I went over 20 years without being employed. I personally believe that my work is a very important part of my recovery. I am so grateful and thankful to be able to work. So much so that I cannot put it into words.

If you have schizophrenia don't give up hope. Recovery is possible and it is possible to break into the work force and hold down a job. Just stick to your treatment regime. Take your meds and seek psycho-social treatments from your mental health professionals. Medication alone is not sufficient for recovery. I must confess that not all recover but many do. I am recovering. For more than 20 years I was labeled as "long term chronically mentally ill." During that time I absolutely did nothing. When I did try to do something I only lasted five minutes and had to stop. I was in a hopeless, helpless, and useless condition. I never gave up. I had that faith, hope, and courage that some day things would get better. That's one of the things that helped get through all that pain and suffering. I knew that some day I would get through it all and come out the other side victorious. It finally happened. I now live a life of meaning, purpose, and I am a productive member of society. If I can do it so can you.

No comments: