Sunday, March 29, 2009

Something Strange

A real strange thing happened to me when I was sick with my mental illness. One night I went to take my meds and I couldn't swallow them. I also tried to eat and could 't swallow my food. I went two weeks without taking my meds and eating. My weight went down to 80 pounds.

Mom took me to see my psychiatrist. He put me on a meal supplement to keep my alive. Then he sent me to the medical doctors. They did every conceivable test on me. They could not find anything physically wrong.

They sent me back to my psychiatrist. He came to the conclusion that somehow my mental illness was causing this problem. For the next year I went through hell. I was put on the liquid form of my meds. For the ones that didn't come in liquid form Mom had to crush them up and put them in yogurt.

I also couldn't smoke or drink coffee. So I had to give it up. All I could drink was water. I couldn't even swallow my saliva. I must of drank a 100 glasses of water a day. I couldn't even get up. All I did was just lay around on the couch. To make matters worse my schizophrenia was also in full bloom.

Finally after a year I was at a friends place. He passed me some food and told me to try eating it. I tried it and I was able to swallow it. After that I began to eat food. Was I ever glad. I was also able to swallow my saliva. After this I started drinking coffee again. A couple more years later I started smoking again. I still smoke to this very day. I am just grateful and thankful that whatever the problem was about me not being able to swallow went away. Now I can eat and swallow.

I find this a very strange thing. The doctors had no clue as to how it happened. It just did.

No comments: