Monday, March 30, 2009

My Writing

When I write I pour out my whole heart, mind, and soul into it. I mostly share my experience, strength, and hope with others. I share my experience with schizophrenia and recovery, obsessive compulsive disorder and recovery, and addiction/alcoholism and recovery. I also pour out my being into my writing about Christianity and share my experience, strength, and hope concerning my religious experience.

The reason I do this is because I want to use my experience to help my fellow man. I believe that the reason I had to suffer for over 20 years with mental illness and addiction is so that I can empathize with others in their suffering and share my experience with them to help them and give them hope.

I would really love to go to university and get an higher education and work in the mental health field or addictions field but that just isn't practical. It would cost me thousands and thousands of dollars and would have to pay it all back to the government. By the time I graduate I would be to old to get a job. No one is going to hire a 55 to 60 year old man just coming out of university.

So, I have decided that I can still help my fellow man. I can do it through my writing. I also like to write speeches and deliver them at every opportunity that comes along. I gave several speeches in 2008 and I hope to give more than that in 2009. I just love public speaking and I get much pleasure and satisfaction out of this activity. I usually write speeches to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.

I just have a burning fire and passion deep within my inner being to write and give talks with the purpose of helping my fellow man. I want to show others that suffer that there is hope and that recovery is truly possible. I am recovering from schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, addiction, and alcoholism. I have been recovering from all four for over nine years now. My recovery gives me such peace, joy, and happiness that I just cannot put it into words. I try to do my best to put my recovery into words so that I can help others. I try to make my writing as simple as possible so that anyone can understand how I have recovered with the intention of helping others recover. I would just like to say have faith, hope, and courage. Seek recovery with your whole being and you just might find it. If I can find recovery anyone can. Just don't give up. I didn't give up but it took me over 20 years to find it. I am not a quitter and I just kept on trucking until the day that recovery decided to come my way. Many times I thought about suicide and even attempted it a few times. I am just glad that I didn't complete the job. Now that I am recovering I just love life and I love being alive. I just have a deep passion for life. I know what it is like to be fully human and fully alive. I would just like to say "keep on trucking until you find the precious gift of recovery."

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I think that at the age of 55-60, a worker with people suffering from mental illness and addiction has so much more to give to people as they have so much more insight into life and contain more life experience which is very useful when trying to help or counsel someone, especially when you have suffered from those things yourself. But I don't know the system in the states, just that here, because of your life experience you would actually have a better chance of getting a job in that field than a twenty-something recently graduated.