Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Schizophrenia and Smoking

Smoking is a real major problem for mental health consumers. I have done some research on this topic. Scientists suspect a breakdown in the bio-chemistry of the brain causes schizophrenia. They suspect the dopamine system. There is to much dopamine. When this neurotransmitter picks up the message from the brain cell and carries it to another it doesn't bind properly to the receptors. As a result of this the messages get all mixed up. This is what causes the symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized thinking.

According to research being done on how smoking affects those with schizophrenia. Nicotine binds to the dopamine and does something to this system. The affects of the nicotine creates a positive reaction. The nicotine actually improves the cognitive functioning of those with schizophrenia. It also improves the psychological and emotional functioning of consumers. It plainly makes a person have positive psychological and emotional experiences. It creates a sense of well being for the person smoking tobacco.

This is why so many consumers smoke. Very few people are able to actually quit. As a result of the benefits of the way nicotine affects the dopamine system it next to impossible to quit. I was talking to a scientist once and asked him if he had done any research on smoking. He said yes. I also asked him if it was possible for me to quit. He said I would need to be on the patch, receive intensive psychotherapy seven days a week. He said that the odds of quitting was next to impossible even with the prescribed treatment he informed me about.

Within the last nine years I have tried to quit several times. I was not successful. In fact when I tried to quit on a work day I just couldn't function. I wasn't able to do my job. My boss had to send me home. She told me to stop at the store and pick up some tobacco on the way home. She knew that I would never be able to quit. I want to quit so bad I can taste it but I have doubts that I will succeed. Maybe some day. That will be a long long ways down the road. No one has to tell me that smoking is not good on ones physical health. I know that I can develop life threatening diseases that could kill me. Even though I know these facts I still have no psychological power to quit and stay quit. One cannot quit on will power. If you are a consumer that smokes don't get all in a dither. It's better to have good mental health and live a satisfying life even though that life is shortened as a result of smoking.

I look at it this way. If nicotine and caffeine are my only vices in life I have nothing to worry about. If you compare this vice with vices I have had in the past they are nothing. I have nothing to worry about even though I smoke. I would rather live a short good quality life than be around a long time but have a poor quality life. I am totally satisfied with my life and I don't have to quit smoking to make it better. Life is wonderful and I love life. Psychologically and emotionally it couldn't get any better.

No comments: