Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Benefits of Working

There are a lot of benefits to working. I am going to share how working is beneficial to me personally.

Working helps me psychologically. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. I accomplish something every time I put in a days work. It makes me feel that I am a productive member of society. I work to help support myself and I also pay income tax. It gives me an opportunity to socialize with other members of society. Going to work everyday gives me meaning and purpose in life which I never had when I wasn't working. I have something to look forward to everyday. I get the sense that I am living a normal lifestyle because working is essential component of life. I am doing what the rest of society is doing. I personally feel that I am part of the community I live in because everyone else is working as well. I do not feel like an outcast of society any more. I am one with society. Even though I work I still receive some assistance from social services. I do not make enough income to completely support myself but I feel good because I am doing all that I can to support myself and bring in some income even though it is not enough to completely go off of social assistance.

Of course, I benefit financially. If I was not working I would not be able to afford my internet. I am able to afford my tobacco which I would not be able to buy if I wasn't working. After these two things are taking care of I have extra money for other things. I spend some money on my wife. I just love to be able to buy things for Kim. I also have some money to spend on myself as well. Sometimes things crop up and I have the money to take care of these things as well.

Overall working benefits me psychologically, emotionally, and financially. I am just so grateful and thankful that I am able to work. There was a time when I wasn't able to work as a result of my mental illness's, addiction, and alcoholism. I was unemployed for a period of roughly 20 to 25 years. Now, I have been working since August 2001 in the regular work force like the rest of society. I feel good about the whole thing. Recovery is truly possible. There is hope.

No comments: